Video game characters have as much freedom as we Americans have with the bill of rights. It’s no wonder why some of them curse like sailors tossed to and fro at sea.
Here is my list of characters with potty mouths.
1. Marcus Fenix- From the Gears of War series. If he had a middle name it would be swearing as it is what he is good at. I guess swearing helps me stay sane while killing all the locusts.
2. Duke Nukem- Perhaps one of the most well-known people on the list. This comes as no surprise. He gets the awarded as the granddaddy of swearing. He indeed has a potty mouth on him.
3. Saints Row Series- For this game your character varied but, their mouth did not. Whoever you chose to play as had a mouth full of trash to dispose of continually throughout the game.
4. CJ- He is no stranger to any of us. He is one of the most popular characters of the entire series and has a colorful way of expressing himself making him most memorable.
5. Conker- No list would be complete without including that little cute squirrel. Mess with him and he will curse you half way to hell.
Well there’s my list. It could have been longer but I didn’t want to drag it out.
What do you think? Would you add any others? I think potty mouth characters make the game that they are in. They bring a type of realness that can’t be found elsewhere.
We have come a long way with the topic of females in gaming. Back in the day all we had in terms of a female lead was the lustrous Lara Croft who was well known for her big breasts and small waist line. This along with the endless play-ability and exploration in her games made her an icon.
Today we have examples of strong female leads such as the one and only new rebooted, Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider series, Jodie Holmes from Beyond: Two Souls and Ellie from The Last of Us. All these females represent a new direction for females in gaming. These ladies don’t depend on their assets to get them through their world or to even sale the game. Instead they use their smarts, intuition and combat skills to survive.
Yes, Beasts and Thighs do sell games but having a developed character who is relate-able and unique from her peers is even better. Objectification of women can be seen in the fighting genre. Scantily clad Women busting at the seams, jiggle, wobble and fly across the screen to punish their victims, while satisfying their victims craving for eye candy. The weather cannot stop these women, they will wear a bikini in a snow storm or even in the desert.
Jiggling is right, everything else is wrong, but at what cost? I mean I enjoy the fighting genre as it is one of my favorites but I can’t help but think that we are painting a false picture for females in real life. That, this is all you are to us, just a bucket breast and thighs, beautiful to look at and fun to play with but when it comes to respect that is a different story. Truth, is you are more than an object, you are a human being who deserves respect, love and affection.
Sure, Duke Nukem’s thoughts toward women aren’t the norm but we still have a long ways to go. Few women are on the stripper pole hoping it rains as portrayed in the strip club on Grand Theft Auto 5. For this I am thankful.
What are your thoughts on Women and video games? Do you feel that Lara Croft is carrying the torch for the female lead in gaming?